Let me explain as we examine two behavioral concepts.
Secondly, as we continue to embrace or engage in various discoveries and advancements, we - as humans - begin to adapt and evolve to the changes that these very discoveries bring with them. Of course, this is only natural. This can be positive change; however, it can also be harmful or detrimental in nature. For just a moment, think of all the various medications that augment, enhance, and even save lives. And yet, over time and with repeated usage, we know that some individuals develop abuse and dependency issues leading to addictions. Our bodies change as they experience the unpleasant side-effects of tolerance and withdrawal.
These two behavioral concepts hold true with our relationship with technology, especially as our dependence and reliance upon it continues to increase. Although it may be happening slowly and subtly, our bodies, minds, and spirits are experiencing both the harmful side-effects as well as the detrimental adaptations and unhealthy evolution in our ways of being. A few of the more serious symptoms and manifestations of an over-reliance on technology (in all aspects of our lives) are the following:
- Feelings of disconnection and detachment from others.
- Feelings of disregard for others and an inability to feel empathy for others.
- Feelings of autonomy, entitlement, and empowerment that lead to bullying and other aggressive behaviors.
- Internet Addiction Disorders: cyber sexual addiction; cyber relationship addiction; net compulsion; information overload; computer addiction ( Dr. Kimberly Young - Founder and Director of Center for Online & Internet Addiction Recovery).
- Personality Disorders: Exacerbation of narcissistic and anti-social personalities.
- Other medical issues (where research is still needed): sleep disorders; developmental disorders especially in children.
- Relationship and inner personal issues: losing sense of connection with partner; losing sense of self.
Just like most things in life that serve us well, we want to keep our relationship with technology in balance.
I encourage you to take the following steps:
Nancy Ferrari. Nancy is the author of Discover the Essence of You; she is a new thought leader and inspirational speaker!
Information Age Wellness with guest Nancy Ferrari!