Let's Talk About Relapse! Day 1!!



Over the next several weeks, I want to talk to you about Relapse....  I know... its a subject that we don't like to discuss.  It's a word that has all kinds of negative connotations associated with it - failure...disappointment...guilt...self-blame...worthlessness...looser...and the worst one of all - shame.  And this is exactly why we need to discuss it!  All those feelings and emotions are real.  And yes, we are responsible for our choices that  led us to relapse.  At the same time, in order for us to get out from underneath that mountain of shame that we have piled on ourselves, we need to talk about it! And, we need to get to work to dig ourselves out!

Why am I choosing the subject of Relapse?  To be honest with you, my newest book that was just released in on this very subject - Mountain Air: Relapsing and Finding the Way Back...One Breath at a Time.  This book details my story - my descent into a painful place and my regression into old toxic patterns of thinking and behaving.  And, this book describes how I found my way back to a place of wellness. I share this with you because I want you to know that I have been there - I have lived it! And, I want you to know that you are not alone in your shame.  Perhaps, most importantly, I want to share the healing lessons I learned along the way.  




You might be thinking...well, I am not an addict... or I have never had any problem with substances.  This blog is not for me...  But think again.  Relapse does not just apply to those who struggle with addiction. Have you ever fallen off of a diet....again and again?  Have you quit an unhealthy habit ....over and over, just to start up again?  Have you returned to a relationship - professional or personal - that you knew was not good for you? Have you trusted, believed, or invested into someone or something that served you really well....and then let go of it or just got tired of the work involved...after you promised you would stay committed?  Have you lied to yourself about what is good and healthy for you....and for those who love you, disappointing yourself and them, again?




Relapse touches most of us... to some degree. No one is really immune.  Let's have an honest conversation about Relapse...  And let's deal with it - together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forgiveness Does Not Heal Betrayal: Here's Why

"Educated" Reminds Us, Speaking Truth About Abuse Comes At A Cost. Speak It Anyway.

Inside "The Glass Castle," Parents Betray Their Children