Although triggers can and will catapult us back into previous unhealthy patterns of thinking, behaving, and feeling, they can also serve to teach us more about ourselves and how to move forward in healing and healthy ways!
|Learning to be in touch with your triggers!|
Although it is extremely important to keep a pulse on these 'external triggers' and mitigate them, we must also learn to recognize how external triggers activate our 'internal triggers' or 'life messages'. And because our life messages from the past can be extremely painful and put us at risk for relapse, we must learn about them, how to process and heal them, and how to move forward in healthy ways!
Although male partners can be external triggers for Tanya, she must also learn to address her internal triggers - her life messages - if she is going to give herself and a healthy partner a chance!
|Brandon is triggered when he thinks about his childhood.|
Although it is really important for Brandon to keep paying attention to his external triggers and continue working his 12 step program, he is learning how his 'life messages' can and will injure him ( trigger a relapse) and how he can heal those!
|Jessica and James learning about 'life messages'.|
Someone or something might be an immediate external trigger, but often, we need to stop and listen to our past painful internal triggers - our 'life messages' - that are coming up for us. And, we need to take time to tend to them - heal them - and move forward scripting new life messages.
* This work is not easy...but it is necessary.
- Calm Yourself
- Claim Your Present Reality
- Choose An Alternate Healthy Behavior.
* And, as you are working with your external triggers, begin paying attention to your 'internal triggers' - your 'life messages'. As you listen to them, stop and write them down. If you find your past life messages to be painful, and more importantly, that they are fueling and feeding your unhealthy ways of thinking, feeling, and behaving, please consider seeking out additional professional advice, counsel, or guidance.
- Breaking Through Betrayal: And Recovering The Peace Within , by Holli Kenley (ch. 9 - Revive and Restore) http://www.amazon.com/author/hollikenley
- Gifts From The Child Within by Barbara Sinor, PhD http://www.amazon.com/Gifts-Child-Within-Self-discovery-Self-recovery/dp/1932690468/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198439346&sr=1-4