We will begin with the Mask of Denial - probably the one we are most familiar
Although the 3 Masks can present themselves in any order, I find that typically it is the Mask of Denial that rears its ugly face first! This is important. Think back for minute about what was going on with your thinking as soon as you were triggered and started to 'fall back' or 'slip into' a previous unhealthy pattern of behaving or feeling. Whether it was being tempted to fall off of a healthy eating plan, or picking up the phone to call a toxic partner, or driving by a familiar bar, or starting to rescue someone who continues to injure you - our minds are immediately tricked and trapped by the Mask of Denial.
with; and, in my opinion, probably the one that is the toughest to deal with.
Mask of Denial
Have you ever heard yourself saying or remember your mind playing these messages from the Mask of Denial?
- It's ok. One drink won't hurt me. Besides, I've proven myself. I can quit again if I want to.
- It's just this once. I'll go back to him. If it gets bad -well, I can leave any time.
- Who is going to know? She needs my help. I don't need other people telling me what to do.
- I've gone so long without seeing my old friends. Even though they are still using, one night isn't going to hurt!
- I know I probably shouldn't go there. But, I'll be ok. I'm stronger now. How could they hurt me anymore than they already have?
|Personality of Truth|
The Mask of Denial is A Mask of Lies - Self-Inflicted Lies!
|Personality of Lies|
- Recognize the voice or message as a self-inflicted lie! Call it out!
- Remove it! Relinquish it!
- Replace it with a message of truth!
- Return to a healthy choice.
- Repeat the process, as many times as necessary.