Are You Showing Up For Your Self? 3 Reasons For Doing So!

I'm so excited! On March 30th, 2024,  I will be participating in the Ms. Senior California Age of Elegance Pageant!

Before you chuckle or secretly judge me, I want you to know that I am doing this because I have learned the importance of Showing Up For My Self! And not just as a senior female, but throughout my entire adult life.

And so, I pose this question to you – Are You Showing Up For Your Self?  3 Reasons For Doing So!

One: You Respect Your Self



When you show up for Your Self, You Respect Your Self. 

This means that you take really good care of Your Self in all areas of your life.  For example, you make it a priority to take care of yourself physically and emotionally. You Respect Your Self by pursuing your interests, abilities, and talents. You Respect Your Self by staying true to who you are and what is important to you.

There are many reasons why individuals don't take good care of themselves or lose interest in doing so. There is one reason, however, that speaks to our inner personal value and worth.

Over the past fifteen years or so of being a senior, I have noticed how elderly individuals become invisible. People just don’t notice us. And so, we sort of give up on ourselves. And, it certainly takes a lot more work to stay in shape and do all the things we did when we were younger!

But, I think most individuals - regardless of age - who feel invisible, unimportant, or that they just don't matter fall into a trap. The trap is that they are searching outside themselves - for something or someone - to notice them and make them feel better about themselves.  

When you invest into Your Self, by taking really good care of your physcial and emotional wellbeing and you prioritize your inner personal qualities, gifts, and abilities,  you FEEL enough because you ARE enough. You don't base your worth and value on external validation or affirmation.   

When I compete at the Ms. Senior California Pageant, I am not seeking attention or affirmation. I am showing up for My Self by Respecting My Self. I am honoring my journey of taking care of My Self throughout my life.   

Remember this.  The only one you need to please is you.  The only one you need to show up for is you.

However, the degree to which you Respect Your Self will be reflected 

in how well you take care of Your Self in ALL areas of your life. 


Two: You Decide Who Or What Is Worthy Of You



When you show up for Your Self, You Decide Who Or What Is Worthy Of You.

This means that you demonstrate discernment around who or what you invite into your life. In other words, you don’t make choices based on your insecurities, or deep voids in your life, or dissapointments that have left you feeling alone and isolated. You don't wait to see if someone or something finds you acceptable. You Decide Who Or What Is Worthy Of You.

As a little girl growing up in an unhealthy family, I was frequently criticized or shamed. Not only for things I said and did, but also for how I looked. I felt deeply flawed. I was shy and insecure. I never felt cute, or pretty, or special. Feeling unworthy and unlovable impacted my choices, especially around entering into unhealthy relationships.

In my thirty plus years of recovering My Self, I learned how to heal those broken pieces of My Self In doing so, I bravely began showing up for My Self. As my healing took hold and became well-integrated into my being, I ceased inviting unhealthy people and things into my life.

Deciding to compete in the Ms. Senior California Pageant is about honoring my confidence, courage, and commitment to showing up for  My Self.  And, it is about carefully, thoughtfully, and intentionally choosing to participate in something that I feel is worthy of who I am and what I represent.

Remember this.  You decide who and what is important to you.  You decide who or what you will invite into your life.

However, the discernment required to Decide Who or What Is Worthy Of You

 will depend on how well you show up for Your Self by healing and growing

 a strong internal foundation of  self-acceptance, self-worth, and self-respect.


Three: You Model A Life Of Integrity


When you show up for Your Self,  You Model A Life Of Integrity.

This means that you live a life that is in alignment with who you are. This means you are honest about who and what you represent Your Self to be. And, it means you are willing to be an example, teaching others to do the same.  In other words, each and every time you choose to take care of Your Self and to make healthy choices, you model these authentic behaviors for your partner, spouse, children, other family members, friends, and community.

Many years ago, I began writing down my ideas around recovery. My first book was published when I was in my early forties. I was so scared! I put my truths down on paper. What would others think?  The years passed. I wrote more books. I started speaking at workshops, conferences, and on podcasts. I was even more vulnerable. I put my voice out there! What if someone didn’t like me or my ideas?

Once I got over those fleeting moments of trepidation, I learned two things: 1) When I show up for My Self authentically, I have nothing to fear. 2) By showing up for My Self, I set an example for others.

When I walk down the runway at the Ms. Senior California Age of Elegance Pageant, I do so to represent and celebrate all senior women, including My Self I do so to model to all individuals the importance of showing up for ourselves— with courage, honesty and vulnerability – regardless of age.

Remember this. It is never too late to start living a life that is in alignment with who you are. It is never too late to model to others how to do the same.

However, the efficacy with which you Model A Life Of Integrity 

is contingent upon your commitment to showing up for Your Self 

in the most authentic, brave, and healthy ways possible.

Start Today! Start Showing Up!


For more healing, visit Holli Kenley - Therapist, Author & Speaker

Amazon Books by Holli Kenley


Ms. Senior Califoriia Age of Elegance Pageant 

March 30, 2024




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Educated" Reminds Us, Speaking Truth About Abuse Comes At A Cost. Speak It Anyway.

Forgiveness Does Not Heal Betrayal: Here's Why

Inside "The Glass Castle," Parents Betray Their Children